Sunday, July 17, 2011

Harry Potter 7 Part 2 Movie

My work did an awesome thing for their employees!  They bought out two theaters for an early showing of Harry Potter for a discounted price to employees.  I got tickets for Brad, me, and Andrea and Adam. 

This movie was so fun!  I haven't really even liked watching the movies until the sixth one, although I can't say I remember much about number five... they were two cheesy and poorly acted.  But I think the directing and acting have been getting slowly better.  Anyway, like five minutes into the movie, Brad whispered to me that he thought that Daniel Radcliffe (who plays Harry) had become a way better actor since the last film.  It was so true!  You could instantly tell.  He finally came into his own at the end here.  It was nice.  But sad that it couldn't have been that way since the beginning, or at least movie number 4 or something, but oh well I guess. 

So besides the list of things that they messed up horribly (some mistakes were because they deviated from the book, and some mistakes were both deviations from the book and totally unnecessary in addition to being terrible decisions, and others were just a lack of time to do certain secondary story-lines justice - see my list below) I really enjoyed watching this film!  I really love almost everything.  It was like a faster way to get 65% of enjoyment that the books bring. 

The best part about watching this movie was watching it with Brad who didn't know how the series ended.  He had no idea!  But he actually made many very accurate predictions during our discussions before hand.  So much so that for months now I have been purposefully, subtly, and craftily mislead him about how it was going to end, just so he wasn't so sure about his predictions. It was so hard!  I am terrible at poker faces so it was quite difficult. Unfortunately though, during the movie I wasn't quite as in control of my emotions/expressions.  When Snape was dying, I started crying, because I think he is the most tragic character ever, and the actor who plays him is good, and by doing so I gave away the fact that he really has been on Dumbledore's side the entire time.

But the best part is that Brad is totally hooked!  He now really wants to read the rest of the series (he has listened to the audiobooks for three and four on our recent road-trips) and will as soon as he graduates probably because he doesn't have time otherwise. I'm so excited for him! I am also so excited that I can now have lengthy, nerdy Harry Potter discussions with him.  Best. Thing. Ever! 

Overall, great movie, and incredibly entertaining! It was super fun!

Critical analysis:
Of the additions that the screen writer made, the one that I liked was the choice to show Ron and Hermione's adventure into the Chamber of Secrets.  That was well done.
They weren't clear enough on how in love with Lily Snape is/was.
No one is there to witness Voldemort's demise. And he just blows away in the wind! Most anti-climatic thing ever.
Why doesn't anyone talk to Harry after he comes into the great hall directly after Voldemort dies? Why is there no cheering? This is the craziest non-nonsensical decision of all of them.
In the book, Harry doesn't not say goodbye to anyone before he goes to face his death.  And it is better that way.
And finally as Brad aptly put it, "Daniel Radcliffe, you throw wands over bridges like a girl."

No comments:

Post a Comment