Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Stadium of fire

So I had never previously been to Stadium of Fire, but I want to go again if we can next year!  It was so great. 

It started with four people parachuting into the stadium with some girl belting "God Bless America". Then some fighter jets flew over us, then there was a competition among three performers/bands for a $10,000 prize, and then David Archuleta sang, and then Brad Paisley did his AMAZING concert, and then there was a fireworks show.  Did you know that there is an actual reason that this event is called "Stadium of Fire"? I didn't, but it is because they have four torches set up on the bleachers that don't have people in them (behind the stage) and HUGE flames of fire come out of them during the fireworks show.  We could feel the heat like 65 yards away!  Some other comments and then ravings about Brad Paisley are below...

1. It was sad that the only person who fell on the landing of all the parachuter people was the guy carrying the american flag. I hope the guy he hit is okay though!  That collision was pretty intense.
2. The thing with the fighter jets was so cool! Four of them flew over us in unbelievably tight formation and then the captain came on the video screen in the stadium wearing his oxygen mask and probably flying over Nevada by that time, and he talked to us about how his team recently came back from Afghanistan, and how he wanted to give his best to those that were still there as well as vets. It was cool, and technology is amazing!
3. David archuleta was such a cute, sweaty kid (it was hot out) who clearly has gotten even better since american idol, which is amazing. I was so impressed!
4. The eleven year old that sang in the talent competition was unbelievably good. I even got chills listening to her belt her little heart out.

Now, on to the good stuff. I LOVED seeing Brad Paisley in concert!!! Oh my gosh, it was the best. He played so many of the songs I was going he would play too, so that was awesome!
His set list included among others:
Mud on the tires
I'm still a guy
Waiting on a woman
Everything to me
Water
I'm gonna miss her
Alabama
Country music
Clearly a very good set list.  And he probably did one or two more that I am forgetting at the moment.

Some of the fun things I noticed because I could see as well as hear him:
He likes playing the guitar more than he likes to sing.
He almost has a different guitar for every song. Its crazy!
He has a violinist. Obvious I know, but I never thought about that before. It reminded me of yellowcard
He is an amazing guitarist. I already knew this of course, but it was so fun to watch!
So most of my family members don't like country music, but I think most of them at least semi enjoyed the performance. Which I was really happy about. It helps that his lyrics are so clever and that he is so talented. Honestly though, the first little but of singing was pretty off  but he straightened himself out after a couple minutes. Or maybe his sound people straightened out hits feed back our something. Anyway, the whole thing was pure fun after that. I also loved how he ended by making it look like he had jumped into a pool and swam away. So fun! I loved it!

Yay for Stadium of Fire.  Its a do again.


2 comments:

  1. Wish I could have been there! We country fans need to stick together in a family full of unenlightened folks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there too! It was such a fun night! I love Brad Paisley:)

    ReplyDelete