Sunday, January 27, 2013

Eczema

Man this stuff itches. I didn't realize I had it until I saw patches on Avery's skin.  Once I realized Avery had eczema, it dawned on me that I have had it too. I break out in itchiness and random bumps on my thighs every winter. It has gotten a ton worse since I started wearing garments. It is amazing that it took me this long to realize it! You'd think that I would know that there was a name for whatever was making me freak out every night because my legs were itching so bad and there was a way to treat it.

So now we are a cotton-wearing, Cetaphil and mild-laundry-detergent-using, humidifier-running household. And the good news is all of it is helping.  If any of my readers have unexplained itching hopefully this will help you.  And for you moms or moms-to-be, just know that a lot of people in the eczema world think that you can prevent your baby from ever experiencing eczema by using thick non-fragrant creams like Cetaphil or Aquafor instead of lotion on them from day one. It is not quite as fun as using the traditional baby lotion that gives them that awesome baby smell, but it is probably a lot better for them since like 20% of all babies get eczema. And as an additional fyi, the National Eczema Association's website definitely has the best information on what to do about eczema.


1 comment:

  1. Totally agree with this. It is too bad, but we have had to throw out all of the bottles of baby lotion that were gifted to us. It doesn't work on Lincoln and kinda makes him break out. I don't use it because it is so thin that it is almost pointless. It does smell nice though which is sad. We are HUGE believers in Aquaphor. Lincoln doesn't get any rashes anymore and he used to have them all the time.

    ReplyDelete